5: The Muslim League
v Factors leading communalism / to formation of Muslim League : [PERRR]
· Policy of Divide and Rule
· Erroeneous interpretation of History
· Relative Backwardness of Muslim community in education , trade and industries.
· Rise of Assertive Nationalists
· Role of Sir Sayyid Ahmed Khan
v EVENTS leading to formation of Muslim League
· Hindi-Urdu contoversy
· Partition of Bengal
· Aligarh Politics
· Formation of M.A.O Assosiation
v Muslim League was setup on December 30 , 1906 under presidentship of Nawab Salimmullha .
v Aims/Objectives of Muslim League:- [ 4Ps prevent,protect,promote,present]
· To protect the political rights and interests of muslims
· To prevent the rise of feeling of hostility between muslims and other community.
· To promote among the muslims , the feeling of loyality towards British government.
· To present the needs of muslims infront of the British government.
v Circumstances leading to Lucknow Pact (1916):-
· The Khilafat Movement
· Annulment of Partition of Bengal in 1911
· Some prominent Muslim leader was arrested on charges of sedition
· Bal Gangadhar Tilak and Annie Besant played a important role
v Clauses/Terms of Lucknow Pact:- [SARA]
· Separation of Judiciary from Executive
· Abolition of India Council
· Religious Interests
· Autonomy of provinces etc..
v Significance/Importance of Lucknow Pact:-
o Hindu-Muslim Unity
o Unity within Congress
· Strengthing National Movement
o Pressure on British Government
· Constitutional Reform
o Necessity to pacify Indians + Demand of Constitutional reform
o Gradual step toward self-government institution in India.
v Drawbacks of Lucknow Pack
· Congress lost their secular character by agreeing on the demand of seprate electorate for Muslims
· Communal Veto
· Muslim League got seats in council excess to their propotion in population
· Did not involve masses. Confined only to educated and rich Hindus and Muslims.